Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Let It Shine

So, I have had an idea tumbling around in my head for a few weeks. It is something very important that I have recently discovered. I have tried several times to put it down in words for you bloggees, but it just hasn't felt right. Tonight, I have decided that I will conquer this thought and share it with you. I have been a Christian since the moment I could make up my own mind. Being a "strong willed child" this was rather early. Obviously through the years I have slowly grasped a more complete knowledge of what that truly looks like. However, from the beginning the concept that I accepted Jesus and he forgave me of all my sins was pretty basic. Growing up in a Christian home has been a huge blessing. Like everything though it does have some downfalls. Obedience came pretty naturally to me because it is easy to be obedient when you are constantly reminded not only of your parents love but also His ultimate love, which is a great motivator. Because of this, I really struggle with remembering that I'm not perfect nor will I ever be. I have always known that this was a "flaw" of mine, Recently, God has been giving me a lot of motivation to actually work on that. I think I wrote about this a little in one of my first blogs. No one wants to be friends with someone who thinks they are perfect. That's no fun at all!! He has been humbling me and teaching me what that looks like. Now for the next step! 
With my pride and feeling of perfection came a very judgmental and unforgiving spirit. I couldn't understand why people just didn't do what was right and wise. In my pledge Bible study (one of my favorite times of the week!!!!! love love) we are reading a book called Cast of Characters. If you have never heard of it, seriously look into it. Anyways, one of the chapters talks about the woman who washed Jesus' feet. Simon the pharisee is like, "Psshh he's no prophet! A prostitute is washing his feet and he doesn't even know it." Then Jesus pulls a David Blaine act, reads his mind, and explains to him how very wrong he is. He says: 
Luke 7:47
"For this reason I say to you, her sins, which are many, have been forgiven, for she loved much; but he who is forgiven little, loves little."
This basically means that unless we understand how much we have been forgiven and how much we are loved, we will never be able to genuinely forgive or love those around us. God is love. He is our perfect example of grace and forgiveness. I can't remember if forgiveness is a real word. Either way, you get my point. This totally blew my mind because in that story I would not be the woman washing His feet. I would be the pharisee. It dawned on me that unless I realize how imperfect I am and how much I need Him, I will never be able to love those around me as I should. The author gave an analogy of trying to write a check from a bank account that has nothing in it. It is so ironic. Only when I understand how imperfect I am can His perfect love shine through me. You all know how much I love to shine. I'm sorry if this blog was a little heavy and serious, I really feel as though this is a concept many of us have never heard. I hope you all take it to heart and shine!

No comments:

Post a Comment