Thursday, January 27, 2011

Making Friends

The Aztecs were known for being very fierce and very spiritual. I think it very appropriate that even in the first week of becoming an Aztec myself I have had more courage and prayed more often than I ever have before. The two things that I have prayed the most about are finding parking and... making friends. Making friends does not really come naturally to me. I would say I'm well-liked and well-known. However, besides my family (brothers and sisters are the best kinds of friends), I'm perfectly content with just the BFF and the BF for most of my social needs. Sadly, I can't bring them to school with me so here I am trying to figure out how to go about making friends. It seems as though it is a skill that some are just born with. Others, like myself, have to work really hard. I am nothing if not a hard worker though. My strategy is as follows: I look for someone who looks like someone I would hang out with (this typically means girly and slender with some sort of designer bag), I sit by them in class, and then I  try to be friendly. Foolproof right? So far, I haven't had much success. Miss multiple Louis Vuittons was not too friendly. Miss oversized Betsey Johnson tote seemed confused  and disinterested when asked about the homework. Maybe making friends can't be made into some kind of formula. If it can though, I will definitely be the first one to follow it. For now, I will continue being friendly until someone is friendly back! One thing I know is that God has provided me with the perfect friends at the perfect time. I have confidence that this will be no different. Wish me luck!

3 comments:

  1. Sad to say that in Speech Path undergrad a good deal of the girls (and I say that b/c the majority are girls) are not too friendly. Mainly b/c it's so competitive to get into Grad school. And we are supposed to help people right? You'll make friends though. Here's a tip: You may want to go for the girl who doesn't have the designer bag. I went to undergrad with many a designer bags and few of them made it into Grad school :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OHMYGOODNESS you crack me up! Or how bout you can go for someone who carries a small, cute, and subtly designer clutch? That's what I carry. haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erin, Haha so true! There are 4 guys to the 56 girls in my SLHS class!! I am definitely going to take both of your tips and go for the friendly girls this week. Mel, you are so cute! A subtly designer clutch is exactly what I need.

    ReplyDelete